Thank you for chairing a session at the 2018 ANZSOC Conference.
Whilst we don’t anticipate any changes please check the program again here prior to your session. You will also find the program details in the Conference App and on the printed Pocket Program.
Below are some tips to assist you with the chairing process. Most importantly, please ensure you start and finish all presentations on time and keep to the order in the program.
Before the Session
- All abstracts are available on the conference website and contain the information to introduce the speakers with their affiliation.
- Review the presentation titles and presenters for your session which are available via the online program.
- The abstracts and biographies of presenters, where supplied, will be available in the Conference App (we will be emailing download instructions to all delegates prior to the conference).
- A printed copy of presenter names, affiliations, and presentation titles will be provided in each room for the session chair. Please use this information to introduce the speakers.
- Please go to your session room 15 minutes prior to the start time to meet the presenters, to familiarise yourself with the room and to introduce yourself to the AV technician allocated to your room. There will be technicians roaming between the session rooms to trouble shoot any technical issues should they arise, and upload presentation files where needed.
- There will be a space reserved for the session chair in the front row of each room with time cards (5 minutes, 2 minutes, 1 minute), a bell for signalling the end of each presentation.
- Advise the presenters that you will be signalling the time and ringing the bell when they have to stop.
- Presenters have been requested to upload their slides online prior to arrival at the conference. If a presenter arrives with a USB to load slides, please direct them to the presentation computer at the front of the room. Technicians will be roaming between the session rooms to provide assistance and troubleshoot technical issues in the unlikely event these arise.
- A generic log in for computers will be created with access to the internet. Log in details will be included in the session chair notes provided on the day.
- Presenters will be asked to sit in the front row of the theatre so they can move to the lectern quickly at the end of the previous presentation.
- You will be advised of any housekeeping items or program updates by the registration staff or committee. Please announce these at the beginning of the session.
- In larger rooms there will be a Q&A microphone on a stand in the aisle. Ask a member of the audience to be a microphone ‘runner’, if required.
During the Session
- Begin the session on time, announce any housekeeping and ask that all electronic devices are to be turned to silent.
- Please use your phone to keep to time (your phone is more accurate than having individual clocks).
- Introduce each presentation with the title, the presenter and the presenter’s affiliation.
- Advise the speaker you will ring the bell once their time is up.
- Please use the lectern microphone to introduce the presenters and at the end of the presentation for questions.
- If a presentation is withdrawn or a presenter does not arrive do not bring the next presentation forward, use the time for questions (delegates will be planning to come to presentations based on the published session times).You will be given further instructions by the Conference Organisers, if an alternative presentation can be arranged in time.
- Ensure each session starts and finishes on time. The length of each presentation is listed in the program.
- If time allows, at the end of each presentation be prepared to ask a question if no questions are forthcoming from the audience and time allows.
- Do not ask any questions if the presenter has used all their allocated time.
- At the conclusion of the session thank the presenters.
- Use any remaining time for questions and discussion.
If you have any queries, please direct these to the registration desk during the conference, or email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the conference.